12 November 2013

Untended Gardens

I hate my racism.

You white people saying you’re not racists?  You’re all liars.

Racism grows on your heart like kudzu, unwanted
untended, leaving little room for useful plants to grow
You must hack it away, burn it, revile it
Tear it back from the tender seedlings
Empathy, understanding, courage
Tear it back so you can see what lies beneath, yank it out by its grasping roots
We ALL fear the other.

“But they’re racist too!” you sputter, the toddler’s lament for justice
“you’re right”, I say, “now hush”.
We are ALL racist.  We are all filled with
Bitter stories and years of fears
Suspicion and unfulfilled curiosity
They’re racist too.  They.  Always they.
So?
Is that your only excuse?  It’s a bad one.
We can only tend our own hearts, mend our own weakness

Your racism lives in that sidelong glance
That shiver of the shoulders when someone is behind you
It lives in the weak smile and downcast eyes
It lives in the way you read the news
First skin is suspect
Then hoodies
What next
Breathing?  Speaking?  Living?
You know you thought for a second there must be a reason
That boy was shot.
Admit it.

My momma didn’t raise me that way.
All people were equal, and I was not allowed
To let the word “hate” past my lips, not even for broccoli. 
But she couldn’t stop the world’s whispers
She couldn’t stop the parade of white faces only
On tv
And anyway
All people didn’t live in our neighborhood.  Only a few people
a lot like us.

But I was different. 

“Mom, what’s a kike”? 
She froze in place like a button had been pushed and slowly
Asked
Where
I
Heard
That
Word.
But she didn’t tell me.
Didn’t tell me what it meant, didn’t tell me
How it applied to me.
‘Cause see, we weren’t supposed to be Jewish
we were WHITE, and that meant
we were above that name-calling
above the bad words
we had taken on the mantle of that privilege
when my parents slipped rings on now Catholic fingers
with my grandparents barely there, at the last minute
deigning to attend their only child’s forbidden marriage.
We were WHITE.   We were Catholic.  And that matzah-ball soup
Your grandma makes for you
That’s just an East Coast thing.  Pay it no mind.

Difference followed me.  Followed me like the old man
That slithered down the sidewalk after me
After he hissed, apropos of nothing,
“I’ll bet you one thin dime you’re a Jew”.
I guess he earned his dime, earned it from my bushy hair,
My big nose, my…what?  How could he know about me
What I didn’t know myself?
But by that time
I had embraced the other
Thrown it over my shoulders like a grand cape
Festooned and shaved my colored hair, hammered spikes through
The cracked black leather of my coat
Left my legs unshaven and pierced every extra flap
Of tattooed white skin
If you wanted to hate on me, I’d give you a target.
Give you a reason, take a number,
Bring it on. 
Because I could choose that.
We were WHITE. 
I could choose,
But still not pass.


We justify our hate.
We tell ourselves stories,
That it’s worthy of tending
That it’s earned
That
That
That those people over there, they’re just DIFFERENT
You don’t understand.
But I do.
I live in this country too,
And feel ashamed when I think
To lock the car door passing through certain neighborhoods
Feel ashamed when I judge
The cashier’s pronunciation of “ask”
And recognize her judgment reflected back through brown eyes
Because I am found unworthy, too
We all judge one another.
We are all unworthy.

What happened that night
Will never be known
And we can argue through all the ones remaining, but
There is only one pertinent fact
And that is
That a boy is dead.
And his body is feeding the kudzu
That chokes out other life in the south
That covers all the habitable spaces
That camoflages the world into a blanket of sameness.
There is only one pertinent fact.
A boy was shot.
And the man who shot him is free.
And a nation has forgotten to tend its garden,
And has allowed the kudzu to swallow it.

But I’m not a racist, you say.
That boy, he was suspended
He had a hoodie
He had some skittles and an iced tea
And a girl on the phone that clattered against the pavement
Before it went silent forever.
Please know this: you are.


Now: tend your garden.

No comments: