01 January 2013

Saved by Cibo Mato


            I didn’t cry for my grandmother’s death.  Well, either of them, really.  Nor did I cry for my grandfather’s.  I managed to work out a sniffle when my Father died, as it seemed untoward not to, and I didn’t want to give my step-monster the forever longed-for proof that I, in fact, did not love my Father, as she had always suspected and passive-aggressively intimated.  I suppose the intimations grew less passive and more aggressive as his demise neared, resulting in vicious screaming from her at his deathbed and an icy demeanor at the funeral.   
            It’s not lack of love, though even I have to admit my relationship with my Father was trussed with tension and remorse.  It’s not even that I eschew public crying, although, to be honest, there is little I find more humiliating, even at appropriate and expected times.  It’s more that, with people I don’t see daily, the evidence of their absence needs to fester for it to become real.   I need to linger over the phone number absent-mindedly, go through a Christmas shopping list, before it becomes clear to me that they aren’t just living their own life while I live mine.
            It may have become real faster with my Dad, I suppose, if I had gone to see his body when he passed on the morning of my birthday.  The step-monster was there, however, and my feelings were freshly slapped from her most recent accusations that I had not visited enough.  (What constitutes enough when someone alternates between ignoring and forgetting about your presence?)  Besides, did I mention it was my birthday?   My Father had already ruined several of those in my lifetime, and fear mixed with resentment bolstered my resolve.  My brother pleaded with me to come, but I reasoned that he must not look much different than he did on his deathbed the night before, and I preferred to remember him breathing, even raspily.  My brother could, were he churlish enough to take it, claim his “I-told-you-so” regarding my regret.  Luckily for me, he’s not that sort; though were the tables turned I can’t promise he’d be as fortunate. 
            No, I save my crying for the cats.  The tears build up in a hard rock behind my broken thyroid and wait, through all the dying, through all the tsunamis, through all the romantic hurts and physical pain, and comes out in a raw, utter wail of sub-human sorrow when a cat dies.  For you see, the absence is real immediately.  The absence is real from their staring eyes and limp jaws and sudden realization that there is no one to wake you up with wet pushy purring tomorrow morning, no one galloping to meet you at the door tomorrow night.  The absence is real and keenly felt in a way it can’t be when a relationship has been reduced to unsatisfying phone calls filled with only good news and uncomfortable holiday visits.
            This is why I drove around Santa Fe New Mexico for a week, hitting “repeat” on the CD player.  Santa Fe’s lilac dust glittered through my tears, the soaring strains of Japanese-scented English smothering my wails behind the rolled-up car window.  Fritz, my big, orange tub of a tabby, was gone forever, and I was inconsolable, save for Yuko Honda and Miho Hatori’s soft harmonies and near-incomprehensible lyrics.
            It was the verse, really.  “I wish I can take it away to three thousand light years away”, I would croon with them, repeatedly, snot dribbling down my upper lip.  “Don’t be afraid, I’ll be next to you”.  I would imagine myself flying to a faraway planet, one arm stretched out before me a la Superman and Fritz cradled in the other, no dripping bag of fluids or pain, to a planet where kitty kidneys grew on trees and nine lives were literal.  Even now, the song can make my knees week.
That breathy, tentative first note, like a low test of the trumpet’s mouthpiece, is enough to push a tear to the brink of my eyelid on even the best day.  By the time it steps up to the crescendo and the brushes hit the snare, I am invariably a snuffling wreck, even in public.  “All I can do is sing for her and myself”.  All I can do is sing for him and myself.

No comments: