07 October 2006

St. Lucia's eyeballs on a plate freaked me out...

...but what really traumatized and upset me was when I was told my dog wasn't going to heaven. It sent me into a tailspin of existential angst at the ripe old age of 8. After arguing with the Sunday School teacher about it, the next week I told my Mom that I thought church was "over my head" and I just didn't get it. I didn't want to go anymore, so she shrugged and let me stay home.

Long story, but little did I know that she was Jewish and converted to Catholocism for my dad -- she didn't really care one way or the other. I remember working up my nerve to tell her like it would break her heart!

I also freaked out my Sunday school teacher by asking repeatedly about where Cain and Abel's wives came from. I don't think I went far enough to think it through, but I found it profoundly disturbing that it wasn't explained, and any time you asked adults they got uncomfortable.

In fact, I still find that a little disturbing!

No comments: