29 September 2013

The Power of One Asshole



It was an amazing, stellar night, the night of my first big opening in New York.  I had done my hair up in a spectacular, crazy fashion, with pom-poms and yarn creating a colorful crown and dressed in my finest, and my friends and plenty of strangers came to admire my work.  Afterwards, exhilarated, three friends and I had walked to a nearby French restaurant in the Meatpacking district and dined sumptuously, drinking celebratory champagne served, on the house, by a charming, sweet waiter who congratulated me for what he knew was a very big deal.  Walking to the 14th street and 8th avenue subway with my friend chatting about shoes, we witnessed a guy hanging out of a car, making a grotesque noise at a lone woman.  As we passed her, we asked, “what did he say?”  And she shrugged her shoulders and said, “something stupid, no doubt”, and then asked us where the subway was, confessing that she was a bit tipsy and not in her element.  We invited her to join us, and relieved, she fell into step, joking and laughing along as we made our way to the A train. 
            I needed the L to the Q, so I parted ways with the others and headed to my train, awash in the glow of a magical night and donning my headphones so I could bob my head to Janelle Monae’s Queen while I rode home.  Sitting on the wooden benches on the Q platform filled with girls on platforms and hipsters in trucker hats, a semi-drunk guy with dark hair and a plaid shirt sat next to me and said, in a friendly voice, “Mind if I smoke”?  “Well”, I said with a smile, “as long as you’re asking, yeah, kind of”, thinking to myself that surely, I had seen at one point in time “no smoking” signs on the subway platform anyway.  He looked surprised and said, “well, I appreciate your honesty.  Most people seem to have trouble expressing themselves”.  I laughed and lifted my eyes upwards towards my elaborate hairdo and said, “clearly, that’s not a problem for me”.  He squinted and said, “Yeah, because most people, you know, they’d let me smoke”.  A low rumble behind us indicated the train, and I said, “well, sorry”, and got up to wait at the edge of the platform.  His initial friendly demeanor had given way to a scowl, and I thought to myself, “well, you DID ask, after all”.  
            When I got on the train, I carefully chose a seat between two people as opposed to the long open seat closer to where I entered the train.  The drunk guy shuffled towards where I was sitting and hesitated, scanning the seating situation, and then asked the guy next to me if “he would scoot over so he could sit next to his friend”.   My seat neighbor shifted, and alarmed, I spoke up, “hey, he’s not my friend – a two second conversation doesn’t make us friends”, and hardly glancing up from his phone, I felt my seatmate’s weight shift back to resting.  The drunk looked confused, then decided to occupy the still open seat next to my neighbor, and began talking to him as though their maleness made them compadres.  I still had my headphones on, so I ignored what he was saying until I heard the word “bitch”, and then, still staring at my open book, I discretely removed the ear bud furthest from him to monitor the situation.   “Some chicks don’t know what’s good for them, am I right?  Fucking bitches think they can say whatever they want, man, know what I mean”?  My seatmate didn’t acknowledge his solicitation for agreement, continuing to stare at the game on his phone.  If he was afraid, he didn’t show it, but I doubt he was afraid, whereas I was growing increasingly alarmed. 
            The drunk shoved the cigarette between his lips and continued muttering.  “You’re allergic to smoke?  Yeah, well I’m allergic to bubblegum”, I guess referencing the carefully placed decorations in my hair.  He continued to loudly and aggressively speak to no one.  The full train continued to stare at their books, stare at their feet, stare anywhere but at the spectacle.  Every once in awhile he asked loudly, “so really, no one minds if I smoke?” staring at me in the window opposite of us to watch for a reaction.  I continued to read the same sentence of Edwidge Danticat’s prose repeatedly, without meaning, only glancing occasionally up to check if he was still glaring.  “Yeah, tough crowd – no one wants to talk, huh?”  His protestations grew louder, over the wine and squeak of the rattling cars.  “Fucking bitch, I’ll show you what kind of asshole I am.  Yeah, you’ll see.  I’m a five star asshole, you won’t forget it.”  I began to tick off the stops in my head.  At each station, I held my breath, hoping he’d get off as the train slowly emptied, stop-by-stop.  Still, no one said anything, and he continued to rant.  “I’m a man.  Pushing a broom ain’t no job for a man.  I’ll show these fucking bitches.  Yeah, got nothing to say now, do you?  Wanna express yourself now?”  I continued to pretend I could comprehend even a word of my book, continued to pretend that the ear bud closest to him, still pounding out a quiet beat, blocked the sound of his nasty voice.   I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of existing to me, didn’t want to let him have a taste of my fear.  And yet, I also was fighting within myself, fighting with every breath not to “express myself” and let him know that he had no fucking right at all, not one fucking bit, to intimidate a carful of people going home after a night out, and not even me.  I had not wronged him – he asked a question, I answered, in as friendly a way as possible.  My rage bubbled behind my lips but the icy clutch around my heart and my common sense stifled my tongue. 
            At Atlantic-Barclay, 4 stops from mine, I knew I needed to make my move before the train emptied even more, leaving only me and my tormentor.  Tightening my grip on my bags discreetly without looking like I was going to move, I waited for the doors to open and bolted, dashing to the next car up and jumping on.  I heard his sarcastic snarl yell out “goodnight miss”, but he didn’t follow me.  I could see him through the window of the car one over as the train leaned around a corner, continuing his hostile rant.  I kept nervously glancing through the shifting windows, but didn’t catch a glimpse again.
            Getting off at the Beverly stop, I looked behind me on the platform several times to make sure I was alone, not quite believing I’d dodged this psycho.  By the time I reached the house, my chest had stopped pounding, and my sweat had crystallized to a cold veneer on my skin. 
            What right does he have?  I thought, to take a piece of my perfect night and piss all over it?  Where does he get off?  What kind of privilege allows a man to feel so entitled to do what he wants that he can terrorize another person, simply for speaking their mind? 

            This is what street harassment looks like.  It isn’t always flirtation, it isn’t always the wolf whistle or the catcall; it’s the entitlement, the emotional blackmail, the casual intimidation.  It’s feeling you have the right to be an asshole, the rest of the world be damned.

No comments: