18 August 2006

Challenging the Viewer

I believe humans are on the planet to learn and grow and expand their minds. The whole of human existence has been moved forward by artists, writers, scientists and thinkers pushing on the boundaries of what we think we know. Without that pushing, striving, challenging, would we really be human? Would we have ever found fire, even?

Some of my favorite artworks I hated on sight. I'll admit it. It was through being challenged, through having my brain prodded and expanded a little, that I grew to "see" those works and appreciate them.

Frankly, I like to use my brain, but struggling to survive in the world doesn't always afford the opportunities to use it in the ways I'd like. Thank god for artists that shove me in that direction. And pushing my art, the same way, keeps me excited about it, and keeps my brain cells engaged.

That, or I suppose I could just do the New York Times crossword puzzle to stretch my head -- just not as interesting or fun, though.

No comments: