13 November 2005

So, I've been busy...

...getting ready for a show.


I haven't ever talked about my art in this blog before, because I intended it as a political blog. But I'd like to use it for more personal stuff, too I guess.

So, yeah, I'm an artist. I have a show coming up at plus gallery on Dec. 8. Those guys rock, by the way. I'm excited about it, not even really nervous. It's a big departure from what I was doing before, but I'm feeling pretty happy with how it's all turning out, and running into few technical difficulties at this point. (Although, last night I was so tired I poured resin into my molds without adding the catalyst, what a freakin' mess. That was fun to clean up. Best not to play with toxic and expensive substances while suffering from a lack of sleep.)

Here's some random thoughts on my work right now:

I have an internal war going on between beauty & content, which is expressing itself in the work. I've been reading Dave Hickey & Arthur C. Danto's treatises on beauty -- which really resonate with me -- and trying to reconcile these ideas & my attraction to them with the need to express myself politically and the seething rage I'm feeling about everything. The show is a bit schizophrenic, in that sense. There are a couple of straight-out, sardonic political pieces, and then some that are just about shiny, sparkly blinged-out surfaces, which of course has it's own weird political angle regarding class, surface, greed, and any number of prototypically American dilemmas.

This show has literally hundreds of separate components. Hundreds. Each of them cast, sanded, primed, and finally, painted. (Or upholstered, or collaged, or whatever.) Yeegads. Obsessive, much?

Speaking of sleep...I have a lovely waiting husband. I miss his arms.

No comments: